POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How does Haskell work? : Re: How does Haskell work? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How does Haskell work?
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Mar 2010 11:40:01
Message: <4ba0f7d1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Could a simple conditional be more awkward than that?

Sure! I can think of ways to make it much more complicated. ;-)

>   (I can only imagine how hard it is for compilers to optimize that into a
> regular machine code conditional construct.)

At a simple level, you could just scan the source when you compile it,
and replace any calls to the #ifTrue:ifFlase: method (and friends) with
the appropriate machine instructions.

Then again, Smalltalk is an interpretted language. Speed is quite
clearly *not* its main objective.