POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Square Root problem : Re: Square Root problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:28:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Square Root problem
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 16 Mar 2010 17:58:48
Message: <4b9fff18$1@news.povray.org>
Jérôme M. Berger wrote:
> 	Actually, it is possible in spherical geometry. You just have to
> remember that two points are not sufficient to define an edge on a
> sphere: there are two possibilities, one of which goes around the
> sphere...

Ah yes, I was thinking of the triangles specified by joining the points
according to the great-circle distance, i.e. the shortest arc between
the vertices.

Problem is that if you allow to build triangles using the other arcs
(the ones that go all the way around), you end up also allowing
triangles that have intersecting sides, which is interesting, I guess,
but then calling them triangles is perhaps slightly abusive :-)

--
Vincent