POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You lose some... : Re: You lose some... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:15:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You lose some...
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Mar 2010 08:19:58
Message: <4b9f776e$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> If I use a point-light, the image looks like it's inside a dark, spooky
> cave. If I turn on radiosity, all the lighting is dead flat. (Except for
> some large black patches of unknown origin, which are completely
> unaffected by any radiosity settings.)
>
> But more than all that, the image is *boring*. I guess that's the
> trouble; I spend hours tweaking radiosity settings trying to get the
> best quality, and completely overlook the fact that the image isn't
> worth bothering with in the first place.

As Scott pointed out, very few people are born with the ability. It

http://warp.povusers.org/povtips/
Even the simplest objects can look interesting with a little help.

> Now a *real*, trained expert would know about things like composition
> and so forth, and could come up with something interesting. But me? I
> just look at a blank screen and think "hmm, maybe throw some procedural
> geometry at that?" and the result is naff.

Have a Google for studio lighting tutorials, you may find something
useful. And maybe you can find a tutorial on photography composition to
help with the scene. I use a modeller so I can have an idea what the
scene will look like before rendering.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen