POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDMI cable confusion/paranoia : Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Mar 2010 04:13:47
Message: <4b9a05cb@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> But still, for the price, there are some exceptional programs and
> coverage of sports events.  Was there any other broadcaster in the world
> that covered pretty much every winter olympic event with no adverts?
> Watching football on ITV (the commercial channel) is painful, the show
> is essentially adverts with breaks for the national anthems and the
> 45:00.0000000 halfs.  Most of the documentaries the BBC produce are
> world-class.  I'd happily pay my license fee for just the sport and
> documentaries.

I don't watch sport, but the BBC has David Attenborough. That alone
makes it pretty much worth it.

They also used to have all sort of other sciency stuff that I enjoyed,
but apparently dumb is the new intelligent, so we just get crap now. :-(

>> Let's face it, watching TV adverts is like a bad acid trip.
>
> Most of them are painful to watch, yes.

I especially like the advert for adverts... WTF?

>> PS. In theory if you don't own a TV you don't have to pay for a TV
>> license. In reality, *everybody* has to pay.
>
> I didn't have a TV for several years and never paid.  After I got the
> first letter from them, I just replied and said I didn't have a TV,
> never heard anything else from them after that.

Really? Interesting. Obviously I've never tried this [I don't have a
house, after all], but people who do have told me that basically if you
say you don't have a TV, they won't believe you and will demand that you
pay a license anyway.

> I don't think that's quite true - they take your word for it unless they
> can prove otherwise (by detecting conventional TV receiving equipment in
> your home, or I guess nowadays detecting your IP address accessing live
> TV).

What do you mean "your" IP? I don't know about you, but my IP address
appears to change every 24 hours...