POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDMI cable confusion/paranoia : Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Mar 2010 13:02:16
Message: <4b993028$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> At least here in the US, the programmes are secondary - the whole point
> of commercial television is the commercials - that's where the
> broadcasters make their money.
>
> The shows are what draws people to watch.
>
> But of course with things like the "magic skippy button" (ie, DVR and the
> ability to skip commercials), broadcasters are having problems justifying
> the cost of ad slots since the number of views is lower because
> technology allows people to skip commercials.

In the UK, everybody who owns a TV has to pay money to the BBC. The BBC
therefore has no incentive at all to ever show anything. (Well, except I
suppose that if they stopped broadcasting, the government wouldn't be
too amused about it...) In general, the BBC used to produce some pretty
high-quality stuff. (They also have fewER adverts.) Today, even the BBC
is being diluted across too many channels.

I just don't watch TV any more. :-P

Let's face it, watching TV adverts is like a bad acid trip.

PS. In theory if you don't own a TV you don't have to pay for a TV
license. In reality, *everybody* has to pay. If you so much as own a
toaster which contains a CPU with is hypothetically powerful enough to
run a TCP/IP stack, they will argue that you could mod your toaster to
watch TV, so you need a TV license.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/