POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Network devices hanging explorer : Re: Network devices hanging explorer Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Network devices hanging explorer
From: Darren New
Date: 9 Mar 2010 17:20:03
Message: <4b96c993@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> I bet there's some core code that is still from Windows 1 :-)

No. Vista added the ability to cancel an outstanding IO request that was
hanging. XP doesn't have that, so you get a timeout. Known problem fixed
years ago.

> Don't remember the last machine I used with an "A" drive, but the same
> happens with CDs and DVDs that it can't read properly.

That in part is a kernel/driver problem, since it actually *does* hang the
whole machine to a large extent.

> As I said, if I unmap the drives the problem goes away.  Issue is that I
> don't want to have to remap them everytime I connect to the network
> they're on!

Shell scripts to the rescue?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not