POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Network devices hanging explorer : Re: Network devices hanging explorer Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Network devices hanging explorer
From: scott
Date: 9 Mar 2010 04:51:29
Message: <4b961a21@news.povray.org>
> Just off the top of my head:
> - Files that share the name, but not the path, of a system file are common
> indicators of malware.
> - The original file in 'system32' is protected against unauthorised
> changes (though less so in WinXP if you are using an administrator
> account).
> - The original file in 'system32' is affected by system updates.
> - You are treating a symptom, not the cause.

Good point about the auto-updates, maybe I'll make it automatically copy the
shell32.dll from system32 into windows each time I boot to make sure any
updates are reflected.

> Try searching for it in AutoRuns (from SysInternals). If it does not show
> up there, try searching for it in the registry.
>
> Also keep in mind that it might not be registered as
> "windows\shell32.dll". It could be "%WINDIR%\shell32.dll",
> "%SYSTEMROOT%\shell32.dll" or some other variant.

Nothing showed up, every shell32.dll was referenced in the system32 folder.
I don't know what else to try, but at least I have my computer back working
at a normal speed, even if it is a bit of a hacky temporary fix.