POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Network devices hanging explorer : Re: Network devices hanging explorer Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Network devices hanging explorer
From: scott
Date: 9 Mar 2010 02:51:26
Message: <4b95fdfe$1@news.povray.org>
OK I think I've sorted it.  After more googling using some of the info given
here I tracked down a copy of Filemon to see what explorer was doing.  It
turns out that every time I tried to navigate or open a right click menu
explorer was looking for "shell32.dll" in C:\Windows and failing to find it
(it is is the system32 folder), and then it was looking for it in the root
of G:\ (my personal network share).  I have no clue why it was doing this,
but it was doing it mulitple times whenever I tried to do anything in an
explorer window.  Obviously explorer only works in a single thread, so the
call to open a non-existant network file was hanging the entire process for
10 seconds or so.

I simply copied shell32.dll from C:\Windows\System32 into C:\Windows and now
everything is zipping along like a new machine - even with the inaccessible
network shares and printers!