POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDMI cable confusion/paranoia : Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 8 Mar 2010 16:04:40
Message: <4b956668$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/8/2010 1:44 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> Hate to tell you, but with some exceptions, most of those channels
>> **did** exists, you just had to be bloody stinking rich, or have an
>> illegal satellite unit, to watch them. Most of the stuff added *since*
>> have been duplicates. I.e., 4 different ESPN ones, instead of 1, 3-4
>> different ones for every movie broadcaster, instead of just 1 (or 2 in
>> some cases), Disney used to have 1, now its 3, at least, etc. Heck,
>> you can find ABC, CBS, NBS, etc. on 3-4 channels now, where they all
>> only had *one* previously. Then.. with digital you now have about 5%
>> of them with specialized HD versions.
>>
>> Nope. What is on the cable line up today is pretty much what was there
>> 10-15 years ago, if you where in a large city, with the exception of
>> maybe less than a half dozen added since. The only major difference is
>> that now you a) have them all bundled as packages, so you can't pick
>> the ones you want, instead of buying the whole mess of crap with it,
>> and b) you can get more of them, in places you would be lucky to get
>> 10 channels 15 years back.
>
> Out of curiosity, which country do you live in?

The US. Why?

But, I am serious. Yes, you have had some added, like the Food Network,
but 90% of the rest of the crap is new channels, tacked on by existing
broadcasters, as part of their big name channels. Some places they just
end up with goofy letter combos, which make it hard to figure out which
mega-corp, who has been making crap shows since the 70s sitcom era, they
belong to. They certainly are not "new stations", per say, just more of
them, from the same idiots.

This is one of the reasons they "bundle" them. You might be willing to,
say.. pay for the one where House airs, but not the 6 other ones from
the same company, which show endless garbage, which you have neither the
time, inclination, or remaining brain cells, to watch. Mostly the time
though, since you would have to run 150 TVs at the same time to "watch"
all the shit they think you want. In reality, you are probably paying
for what could be condensed into *maybe* two channels, if they a) spread
it out a bit, so things where not always on at the same time, allowed
yourself on channel to record, and spent the same few hours each day
actually watching shows. I.e., 800 hours of programming, per day, when
you maybe watch 2-3? Hell. Nuke about 50% of that, including all the
sports channels, and give me, assuming it still exists, something like
the Playboy Channel, or something, if you actually want me to watch
something. lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {