POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDMI cable confusion/paranoia : Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 8 Mar 2010 15:55:37
Message: <4b956449$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/8/2010 1:35 AM, scott wrote:
>> In the digital realm, anything capable of handling the signal should
>> be as good as any other,
>
> Unless it is *only just* capable of handling the signal, in which case
> any additional interference (eg you put a new device or another cable
> next to the HDMI cable or receiver, a car drives past, someone turns on
> a motor, etc) and then it will stop working. I have never seen anything
> like this though, even my $10 5 meter DVI->HDMI cable has worked
> flawlessy at 1080p while being tangled up behind 100 other cables behind
> my computer and TV.

Yeah. Bigger concern if house wiring and splitters. Lot of idiots are
still using older 800hz splitters, when digital requires *at minimum*
1000hz, or 2500hz, if you want to have the best range (though that is
overkill, in "most" cases), and 90% of the houses are wired with coax
wiring that is about half the width of the stuff now recommended. By the
estimate of my cable company people, the wiring we have in the house,
just by itself, is cutting the signal by probably 10%. Add in a 30% drop
for two splitters, to get to my computer, while also running the TV off
of it, and I am still OK. Add in another, or some moron slapping in a
3-4 way, which drops it more like 25%, or worse, or a cable that's too
short, causing signal deflections, and you lose over half of your
signal, and even your digital cable box will fail to work, never mind
your modem.

It can make a difference, depending on local noise, length, if you do
something dumb, like making short loops in your wire, etc., or somewhat
thinner wires. It all can add up, but, its still not worth the insane
cost of the high end cables, when talking about things like HDMI (not
unless you have some serious need for that quality).

Mind.. This is also probably like the difference between buying
something that has a clear, "This much variance exists in the part",
vs., "You will probably be OK, but we are not even bothering to print
variances, signal loss per length, or other data on this cable, because
we just buy cheap wire to make it, don't bother checking too careful,
and for all we know it came from anything from a telephone box to a toy
car. Oh, and we don't guarantee that any of it is well soldiered, and
properly grounded either." The ones "with" that information stamped on
them tend to cost 3 times as much. **But**, they also fail 90% less
often, and cause less problems (you don't want to know how many cheap
splitters I have gone through, before they tore all of them out and
replaced them with ones that "do" have those specs clearly printed on
them). Cables.. are likely much the same. You get what they are willing
to charge you to guarantee.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {