POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Network devices hanging explorer : Re: Network devices hanging explorer Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Network devices hanging explorer
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Mar 2010 04:48:54
Message: <4b94c806@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> That is one of the things I love about Windows Explorer - it's
>> complete inability to handle delays.
>
> I bet there's some core code that is still from Windows 1 :-)

Would surprise me. Apparently Windows NT still contains the entire
Windows 3 kernel, unmodified, in case any software wants to use it.

Backwards compatibility is a truly evil thing. (This is why Haskell's
unofficial motto is "avoid success at all costs".)

> Don't remember the last machine I used with an "A" drive, but the same
> happens with CDs and DVDs that it can't read properly.

Or just the drive is empty. You'd think this wouldn't take long to
figure out, but...

>> I presume you've tried unmapping the mapped drives.
>
> As I said, if I unmap the drives the problem goes away.  Issue is that I
> don't want to have to remap them everytime I connect to the network
> they're on!
>
> I just couldn't find the "Only try to connect once to mapped drives
> until the network connection is changed" checkbox...

I'm not sure if there is one.

What I'd probably do is write a batch file to unmap the drives, and
another to map them again. Put those two scripts on the desktop, click
'em when required.

>> Is the laptop part of a domain?
>
> Yes.

It's probably searching for a domain controller to authenticate to so
that it can map the network drives. That's probably what the problem is.