POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Network devices hanging explorer : Re: Network devices hanging explorer Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Network devices hanging explorer
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Mar 2010 04:18:57
Message: <4b94c101$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Every single time I click a
> folder or file the explorer window hangs completely for 10 or 20 seconds.

That is one of the things I love about Windows Explorer - it's complete
inability to handle delays.

Click on A: by mistake, when there's nothing in the drive, and
essentially the entire Windows UI locks up until it has determined
there's nothing in the drive. And I don't just mean the window in
question. The start menu stops working, windows stop repainting
themselves, virtually the entire damned OS locks up because of one
stupid disk drive! WTF?

Anyway, as to *your* problem... The whole "it locks up for 20 seconds"
deal reeks of "network timeout". BTW, does anybody know why network
timeouts are always set to 7 minutes or something? I mean, if you
haven't got a reply in 800 ms or so, it's *obvious* that you're never
going to get one! Retry or give up. Don't sit there for 7 minutes waiting!

I presume you've tried unmapping the mapped drives. Is the laptop part
of a domain?