POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Matrix sequels : Re: Matrix sequels Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Matrix sequels
From: Warp
Date: 7 Mar 2010 18:27:42
Message: <4b94366e@news.povray.org>
> >   I don't think that rogue programs like the Merovingian would make much
> > sense if they would not also have free will and given free choice.

> I dunno. It seemed like those programs had come from the machine world,
> while perhaps programs created specifically to work in the Matrix (e.g.,
> Smith) might not have much free will. If they go wrong, they get deleted.
> And Neo giving Smith free will is what started to cause the break-down.

  Well, the whole point with the Sati subplot (the little girl who is
actually a program and machine in the real world) is that she was deemed
obsolete and thus ordered to be deleted but she and/or her parents didn't
want for her to "die" and hence they "escaped" to the Matrix (the Oracle
speaks more about this subject) and seeked protection from the Merovingian.

  It's strongly implied that one of the "illegal businesses" that the
Merovingian practices is to provide asylum for programs which don't want
to be deleted (at a price, of course). In one scene in the second movie
you actually can see Sati's father leaving the Merovingian, we can assume
after negotiating for her protection.

  Thus one can conclude that machines do have a free will and can move
into the Matrix without the Architect's or anybody else's control. Also
that rogue programs are there on their own will and not controlled by
anyone.

--
                                                          - Warp