POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Matrix sequels : Re: Matrix sequels Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Matrix sequels
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Mar 2010 17:29:35
Message: <4b9428cf$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Actually I think the Neos started appearing *after* the Architect created
> the version of the Matrix where people are given the choice of leaving. The
> basic idea for this version of the Matrix was suggested by the Oracle (as the
> Architect himself states).

Yeah, I wasn't sure of the progression there. Of course, it may be that the
Oracle includes the bit of software that the Ones have to return, so the
Oracle disappears just as Smith starts replicating out of control (in the
playground fight scene) and reappears once Neo immolates himself and returns
it.  Or something. :-)

>> as well as why the Oracle is changing her
>> appearance as Smith grows out of control (obviously I'm retconning there :-).
>
>   Naturally the real reason for the different appearance in the third movie
> is that the original actress died.

(That would be the reconning I was talking about. :-)

? However, the in-universe explanation was
> given in Enter The Matrix (the video game), where the Merovingian kills the
> embodiment of the Oracle inside the Matrix, forcing her to create a new one
> (she also alludes to this in the third movie).

I see. I never saw more of the video game than walkign past someone playing
it in the store.

>> It almost seems to imply that no only does the human get a choice, but the
>> software gets a choice too, and *that* is what screws up the Matrix as well.
>
>   I don't think that rogue programs like the Merovingian would make much
> sense if they would not also have free will and given free choice.

I dunno. It seemed like those programs had come from the machine world,
while perhaps programs created specifically to work in the Matrix (e.g.,
Smith) might not have much free will. If they go wrong, they get deleted.
And Neo giving Smith free will is what started to cause the break-down.

Clearly it was very unexpected that Smith wouldn't be a perfect agent, in
the whole "What are you doing?"  "He doesn't know." scene, for example.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not