POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDMI cable confusion/paranoia : There is no spoon Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  There is no spoon
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 7 Mar 2010 16:52:28
Message: <4b94201c$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so I set up the BluRay player today and took it for a spin.

The player is hooked up to the LCD TV via an HDMI cable. Apparently the
TV is in 1080p mode. (Presumably that means 1080 scanlines with
progressive scan?) I've played some DVDs and some BluRay disks.

There *is* a difference. But it still seems quite small. The main place
you see it is actually in the setup menues, weirdly enough. The
texturing seems sharper. Once the film itself is playing, you don't
really see a whole lot of difference. Except sometimes in shots that are
very still, or have lots of close-up detail.

I can only guess that most of the time, large parts of the frame are out
of focus anyway, so there's no extra detail to capture except on the
foreground objects which are in sharp focus. And also, if the objects
are moving around a lot, there's so much motion blur that you don't see
any extra detail.

So in summary, apart from the occasional shot where you go "oh, that
looks a little sharper than usual", there's not much to see. (And most
especially, when you first start watching it seems a little sharper, but
after 20 minutes you've forgotten all about it.) It's certainly not the
"OMG, your eyeballs will drop out of your skull in sheer amazement"
effect that everybody keeps promising.

Now I've got Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. The box contains
the exact same film on BD and DVD, so I can actually compare like for
like. But I haven't done so yet.

The main thing is, I can now throw away the *useless* DVD player we've
been using! :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/