POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDMI cable confusion/paranoia : Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Mar 2010 14:57:11
Message: <4b92b397$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/5/2010 8:56 PM, UncleHoot wrote:
> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message
>> Sabrina Kilian wrote:
>>> the compression artifacts are so pronounced when you stand that close to
>>> these big TVs.
>>
>> You know, I used to think that. I used to work on compression
>> algorithms, so I got really good at seeing the kind of artifacts that
>> jpeg and mpeg produce. Every time I went in the store and looked at
>> the HDTV, I saw all the compression artifacts in the background and
>> thought 'wow, that sucks.'
>
> I'm not sure if it's just the Walmart in my neighborhood, or if all of
> them are like this, but they have lots and lots of TV's all running the
> same signal, and their TV's look like crap. For one thing, most (if not
> all) are using shared analog connections of some kind. Plus, the demo
> they have running has TONS of compression artifacts in it. Any time the
> on-screen text should look clear and crisp, it looks like an awful,
> lossy JPEG. It certainly doesn't impress.
>
> Ironically, that's where I bought my TV. :-)
Yeah, never got that myself. Use crappy splitters, which are expensive,
but the cable guy, when I showed him one goes, "There isn't even an
specs on the thing, I have no way of knowing what the variance is in the
signal attenuation!", with some crappy splitter box, which has been
turned on for 4 years, and is in 80% failure, then expect people to look
at the images and go, "Wow! I will buy that one!" lol

Mind, even when they use digital, they use the some similar splitter,
and *it* is invariably cheap, flaky, and in partial failure.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {