POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDMI cable confusion/paranoia : Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Mar 2010 14:49:33
Message: <4b92b1cd$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/5/2010 12:52 PM, Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay wrote:
> "Patrick Elliott"<sel### [at] npgcablecom>  wrote in message
>> Both of you are assuming this is "Blue Ray" that is the issue too.
>
> Woops.
>
>> Game systems, I think, can output in native 120Hz, and computers certainly
>> can and *must* in some cases, if you want decent video.
>
> 120Hz or 120fps?  Sometimes the two terms are interchangeble, but not
> always.  It's true that getting 120fps on a 60Hz monitor won't look as
> smooth as a 120Hz monitor.  I don't think any console systems on the market
> today output at 120Hz, but I could be wrong.

Actually, in the case of LCD, the general case is, if its not 120Hz, its
not "possible" to be 120fps. The reason being that, without the higher
Hz, you can't get a fast enough refresh to handle a doubling of the
frame rate (at all), or.. well, not if you want it to not look like
total crap compared to a LCD display for a computer, which are, now,
almost 100% 120Hz (with a few cheaper exceptions). To get the same on a
TV requires going all the way up to a 34", or something, in most cases.
Its really kind of annoying. Guess the cost of the tuner gets traded
from the cost of the extra refresh, so the small TVs and the small
monitors stay close to the same price, but... I find it more than a
little frustrating (Had my TV blow some caps a while back, so bought a
smaller one, for a temp, intending to possibly use it as a display
later. Never did, precisely due to that issue.)

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();