POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDMI cable confusion/paranoia : Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 6 Mar 2010 12:25:22
Message: <4b929002$1@news.povray.org>
>> I've only seen HD stuff in shops, but from what I can tell, there's no
>> visible difference between HD and SD.
>
> That's exactly what I'm talking about. There's really a tremendous
> difference, but you have to notice it by switching back and forth
> between HD and SD.
>
> It's like playing a game with all the graphics turned up, vs playing in
> 256 colors at 640x480.

Well, the shops have all this split-screen stuff, with one side in SD
and the other side in HD. The only difference I can see is that the HD
is very slightly less blurry. But it's a tiny difference - certainly not
worth paying £20,000 for.

> I do like bluray better than hddvd. I'm glad they won.

...there's a difference between them?

>> everybody's going on like it fundamentally transforms your viewing
>> experience. But it's only 4x the resolution.
>
> And digital, meaning no blur or color smear.

Meaning no blur *if* the signal is uncompressed - which it never ever
will be.

In reality, we just swapped analogue distortion for compression
artifacts. (And - if you're talking about transmission - a different
failure mode in case of interference. Although admittedly it takes more
interference now to make it fail.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/