POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDMI cable confusion/paranoia : Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 5 Mar 2010 22:14:24
Message: <4b91c890@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Sabrina Kilian wrote:
>> the compression artifacts are so pronounced when you stand that close to
>> these big TVs.
>
> You know, I used to think that.  I used to work on compression
> algorithms, so I got really good at seeing the kind of artifacts that
> jpeg and mpeg produce. Every time I went in the store and looked at the
> HDTV, I saw all the compression artifacts in the background and thought
> 'wow, that sucks.'

I could ignore them on my old small TV, when cable started
rebroadcasting very compressed signals. Now I have a large 1080p tv, but
I get programing over the air, so the local news and such comes in very
clear while other programing varies.

> Then my TV died, so we bought a big-screen LCD TV. The difference
> between the SD channels on cable and the HD channels on cable is
> stunning. Stadium crowds that used to look like a Monet painting now all
> have faces and stuff even in the background. You can see grass blades. Etc.
>
> Yes, the compression artifacts are still there, but they're *still*
> smaller than the analog blurring and color drift artifacts on a TV set
> that size. :-)

Oh, yeah. It's the angle the they have you viewing the TVs at in stores
that make the difference. I am not likely to watch the tele from 1 foot
away, nor from 6 feet under the box staring up a wall at it. It benefits
the high end TVs that do some filtering, which I suspect all have a
higher margin for the stores.