POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDMI cable confusion/paranoia : Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Mar 2010 18:31:21
Message: <4b919449$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> the compression artifacts are so pronounced when you stand that close to
> these big TVs.

You know, I used to think that.  I used to work on compression algorithms,
so I got really good at seeing the kind of artifacts that jpeg and mpeg
produce. Every time I went in the store and looked at the HDTV, I saw all
the compression artifacts in the background and thought 'wow, that sucks.'

Then my TV died, so we bought a big-screen LCD TV. The difference between
the SD channels on cable and the HD channels on cable is stunning. Stadium
crowds that used to look like a Monet painting now all have faces and stuff
even in the background. You can see grass blades. Etc.

Yes, the compression artifacts are still there, but they're *still* smaller
than the analog blurring and color drift artifacts on a TV set that size. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not