POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDMI cable confusion/paranoia : Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 5 Mar 2010 14:49:57
Message: <4b916065$1@news.povray.org>
"Patrick Elliott" <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote in message
> Both of you are assuming this is "Blue Ray" that is the issue too.

Woops.

> Game systems, I think, can output in native 120Hz, and computers certainly
> can and *must* in some cases, if you want decent video.

120Hz or 120fps?  Sometimes the two terms are interchangeble, but not
always.  It's true that getting 120fps on a 60Hz monitor won't look as
smooth as a 120Hz monitor.  I don't think any console systems on the market
today output at 120Hz, but I could be wrong.

> If you are running 3D shutter glasses through them, then its mandatory,
> etc. And, that looks like something coming up soon with Blue Ray.

That would be awesome.

> Also, you are assuming that Blue Ray isn't using the full Hz, if
> available, which might be true of the cheaper units, but.. I wouldn't bet
> on it a) being that way with all of them, or b) staying that way.

My Blu-Ray player has the capability to output 12-bit color.  Last I
checked, there were no Blu-Ray discs that contain 12-bit color.  My TV is
8-bit.  So, while some of the technology is there, it's definitely not all
there yet, but it probably will be in the next couple years, but it's not
going to enhance my viewing experience.  Likewise, I'm pretty sure that no
Blu-ray discs are being produced at 120Hz, nor is that likely to happen over
the next several years.  Heck, if Hollywood would start filming at a mere
60fps, it would be a huge improvement.

One of the things that most HDTV's do is anti-judderring, which is
synchronizing a 24fps signal with a 60Hz monitor.  I've read that with the
120Hz TV's, they can really smooth-out a 24fps signal, and it looks a lot
like video-tape (in smoothness, not quality).  That's neat if you want your
movies to look like video tape.  But I wanted more of an authentic feel, so
I went with the Sony TV, which shows a 24fps Blu-ray movie at, you guessed
it, 24Hz.  This seems like a simple solution to a simple problem.