POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDMI cable confusion/paranoia : Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:17:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Mar 2010 13:51:07
Message: <4b91529b$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/5/2010 11:31 AM, Warp wrote:
> "Jeremy \"UncleHoot\" Praay"<jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo>  wrote:
>> Finally, 120Hz LCD.  I suppose in the future, we may have a 120Hz signal
>> from a Blu-Ray (or whatever), but currently 60Hz is the max.  So, you're
>> still transmitting a 60Hz signal into a 120Hz TV, so I don't see how a
>> better quality cable would help there either.  In fact, I'm still not
>> convinced that 120Hz LCD makes any sense whatsoever.  With CRT's, it made a
>> LOT of difference, because it substantially reduced flicker.  LCD doesn't
>> have flicker.  It has response times, and lowering the response times does
>> make a difference.  I'm not convinced that a 5ms 60Hz screen would be any
>> different from a 5ms 120Hz screen, or even a 5ms 240Hz screen.
>
>    If a 120Hz LCD shows each frame of a 60Hz input twice per output frame,
> then there ought to be no difference. However, if the LCD does some kind
> of interpolation each other frame then there might be some visible
> difference. I don't know if they do, though.

Both of you are assuming this is "Blue Ray" that is the issue too. Game
systems, I think, can output in native 120Hz, and computers certainly
can and *must* in some cases, if you want decent video. If you are
running 3D shutter glasses through them, then its mandatory, etc. And,
that looks like something coming up soon with Blue Ray. Also, you are
assuming that Blue Ray isn't using the full Hz, if available, which
might be true of the cheaper units, but.. I wouldn't bet on it a) being
that way with all of them, or b) staying that way.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();