POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Binary trees, branches and leaves : Re: Binary trees, branches and leaves Server Time
8 Oct 2024 10:04:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Binary trees, branches and leaves
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Mar 2010 13:50:25
Message: <4b915271$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> One of the points of a relational database is that several programs can
> use the data, possibly in ways not originally envisaged.

I'd go so far as to say that was the *primary* point. We already had
standard database stuff using pointers, called CODASYL. It sucked if you
wanted to do anything unexpected with it.

> Today, lots and lots of people seem to forget this. They think of a
> database as being a system for holding data that only one application
> uses and only that application understands. This isn't what a database
> is supposed to be. It's supposed to facilitate access by multiple programs.

This si why I laugh at people who say it's better to put the data
consistency assurances in the program.

> Or sometimes it's just for performance. An order can be completely
> identified by the customer it's for, the date it was placed, and what
> was ordered.

Well, probably customer and timestamp. You don't have to know what they
ordered at 14:01 on Jan 23 to find it. The artificial key, being artificial,
is a secondary key, not a primary key.  Unless it is printed on the physical
slip you used to take the order, like at a restaurant or something.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not