POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDMI cable confusion/paranoia : Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDMI cable confusion/paranoia
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Mar 2010 12:15:49
Message: <4b913c45$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 11:19:21 -0500, Jeremy \"UncleHoot\" Praay wrote:

> There it is.  Let me know if I'm wrong.  I can't believe that I could be
> right about all of this stuff, as there seem to be so many people out
> there who seem to think I'm wrong.

One thing that I learned quickly was that if you start looking based on a
specification (1.2 vs 1.3 vs 1.3b), you're only looking at the connector
quality, not the actual cable quality.

I picked up a 50-foot cable from Firefold (whom I've been quite happy
with) for about $15, and it's generally worked well for me - though I did
have issues with losing HDMI sync (that I seem to have resolved) when the
system was cold (but after it warmed up for about 20 minutes, it was
usually fine).  The thing to look at is apparently the cable gage and
shielding (which would be important as well).

Another thing to consider, though, is if the equipment being used has a
signal booster in it.  Our Harmon/Kardon AVR-254 does signal boosting,
and that's probably why I can use a lower grade cable with greater
success.

Jim