POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Binary trees, branches and leaves : Re: Binary trees, branches and leaves Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Binary trees, branches and leaves
From: Captain Jack
Date: 4 Mar 2010 11:36:45
Message: <4b8fe19d$1@news.povray.org>
news:4b8fdf63$1@news.povray.org...
>I can't find the thread that was talking about trees in Haskell vs trees in
>an OO language, but...
>
> I realized why I thought trees in an OO language have child nodes with
> null branches - It's OO. You have pointers to things. In Haskell, it's
> expected that when you add a new leaf down at the bottom of the tree, the
> root node changes. In OO, you don't want to have to reassign all variables
> holding pointers to the root when you add a leaf. And that applies
> recursively as well. Even balancing a tree, you tend to rotate the child
> pointers rather than reassign the parent pointer, per se.
>
> So that's at least part of it.

Ah, trees of data...

I'm having a fun time learning to communicate with our new DBA. I look at
data entirely from an OO point of view; trees of data where a parent object
owns a collection of child objects (which might or might not be of the same
type), and I tend to set up my tables so that each class refers to a table.
Her perspective is different, and I'm learning new things.

The fun just never stops...

--
Jack