POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Try Haskell : Re: Try Haskell Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Try Haskell
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 3 Mar 2010 17:04:22
Message: <4b8edce6$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> But yes, this (alpha) web thingy lacks several important features:
>
> - You can't define things and refer to them later. Each expression is
> processed independently.
>
> - You can't write multi-line definitions.
>
> - You can't do I/O. (And the error message if you try is cryptic to say
> the least!)
>
> - You can't use all of the standard Haskell libraries, just the handful
> the interpretter offers.

They seriously should steal features from http://tryruby.org/

- You can define variables and refer to them later. Example, type a=1, press
Enter, then type a+a.

- You can write multi-line definitions. Try this one:

5.times {
    print "Hello"
}

When it parses the first line, it will notice the statement is incomplete
and let you continue it.

- You can do I/O (fake filesystem). The whole chapter 4 of the tutorial is
about I/O and file handling.

- You can do HTML and see the results via a custom library made for the
tutorial. Try:

require "popup"
Popup.make {
   h1 "Hello world"