POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What's in an IDE? : Re: What's in an IDE? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's in an IDE?
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Mar 2010 04:11:46
Message: <4b8e27d2$1@news.povray.org>
>> JavaScript is the only language I know which might conceivably be able
>> to do COM stuff. (If it can, I don't know how yet.)
>
> Out of curiousity, what languages *do* you know? I thought you'd worked
> in Tcl before.

Yeah, I've done some stuff with Tcl. But I didn't see anything in the
documentation about COM. (I gather you can add extension to Tcl to do
just about anything - but I'm not sure exactly how you link the
necessary C code into the interpretter...)

I have written some trivial VB code before now, but it's so absurdly
difficult to find out how to do stuff with VB. Anyway, I'm sure VB has
ways to do stuff with COM.

And I've written a tiny amount of C++ code. (More than VB, but still not
much.) C++ surely has a way to do this. Whether you'll survive to live
to tell the tale is another matter.

Also, I can probably do IA32 assembly.

(But The Real WTF is that there's a Haskell package for doing COM stuff,
and - get this - it doesn't compile on Windows...)