POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pixel shader question : Re: Pixel shader question Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pixel shader question
From: scott
Date: 3 Mar 2010 03:08:03
Message: <4b8e18e3@news.povray.org>
> OK. I would be willing to live with 255 values, or certainly 65K values is
> more than enough, so I probably don't have to figure out how to make a
> surface full of floats. :)

Check out the SurfaceFormat enumeration in XNA, you can use it when creating
a new Texture2D object.

> Right, but that isn't two "passes" in the same technique. (I've just seen
> very few techniques with multiple passes, is all, and I'm trying to figure
> out what they're so good for that you'd explicitly include the logic to
> support them all thru the IDE and languages.)

Probably just a relic from the past, when you could only do a small amount
of processing in a single pass.

> But that's a good hint, to have multiple render targets and instead of
> pulling the colors out and pushing them back in, just pick up the texture
> and feed that right back without even taking it off the card. That might
> save me some processing time.

Transferring textures between the CPU and GPU on a per frame basis is never
a good thing for performance!