POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is Haskell interesting? : Re: Why is Haskell interesting? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is Haskell interesting?
From: Warp
Date: 2 Mar 2010 18:37:32
Message: <4b8da13c@news.povray.org>
> Darren New wrote:
> > Really, Python isn't noticeably less private than C++. C++ shows you
> > everything. The compiler says "don't reference that by name", instead of
> > the IDE doing it.

> Or, to phrase it a different way, I've never had a problem caused by someone
> intentionally accessing a private member in a Python-like environment that
> would have been solved by making the code not compile when that happens.

  And I have never had a problem with a wild pointer modifying the private
members of a class either.

  Is your anecdotal evidence better than mine?

> Have you ever known someone to accidentally name a C function __XYZ__ and
> not be aware they might be stepping on the compiler's namespace?

  Actually it's quite common in C and C++ out there to have names starting
with underscore even though the standard says it shouldn't be done.

> Is it
> really a problem that the compiler doesn't prevent you from using names like
> that?

  Well, it is quite a common objection in C++ groups when people post code.

--
                                                          - Warp