POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pixel shader question : Re: Pixel shader question Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pixel shader question
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Mar 2010 13:18:16
Message: <4b8d5668$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> I haven't really done any shader coding myself, but IIRC the way to
> implement this would be with a summation tree.

That was my thought. You loop thru it lg_2(width) times, say, each time
doubling the offset, and each time setting this_pixel += pixel[offset].

Of course, I'll have to figure out if it's possible to *actually* access a
pixel at a particular index. It only took me about 3 hours to figure out my
erosion filter was comparing pixel[x] and pixel[x-1] and pixel[x+1], where x
runs from 0.0 to 1.0. Sheesh.

> standard shader language instead of CUDA or OpenCL I suppose you'd do
> this in about the same way that you'd manually generate mipmaps from a
> base texture, only with a downsampling operation which sums the counts
> of the non-white pixels instead of averaging their colors.

I'll read up on that, thanks.

> You'll need
> to either create a surface with float precision or manually pack the
> sub-counts into the color components though.

I think I can live with one byte of precision, really. The image is coming
off a 320x240 camera. If >256 out of 320 pixels changed, chances are they're
moving the camera. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not