POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Try Haskell : Re: Try AJAX Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Try AJAX
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Mar 2010 12:06:24
Message: <4b8d4590$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> ad hoc way the first implementation happened to do it).

Yeah. You want to know who started the browser wars? Look at your agent
string. :-)

There are also a lot of standards that got changed in subtle ways that broke
a lot of stuff, because the first spec was basically "here's how we do it."
For example, Netscape said "Here's how we do cookies.  Yadda yadda only save
20 per site yadda yadda."  IE did the same thing.  W3C comes along and makes
a standard that says any number of cookies per site. Lots of web sites that
for some stupid reason depended on only having 20 cookies fail with
W3C-compliant browsers, continuing to work with IE *because* MS won't follow
the standards and instead wants the web pages to work right for their
customers, even when the pages on the server are stupidly coded. Launch
complaining in 3... 2... 1....

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not