POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Try Haskell : Re: Try AJAX Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Try AJAX
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Mar 2010 11:56:28
Message: <4b8d433c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Right, so... if I'm understanding this right, XMLHttpRequest allows a
> mere script to instruct the browser to send an HTTP request, and return
> the body of the response as data, which the script can then further
> manipulate? (Rather than, say, just nagivating to another page, in which
> case the script can't process the data because the script won't even
> *exist* any mroe...)

Exactly, yes.

> I had no idea that you can actually do that...

Well, there ya go. MS actually invented that technique with ActiveX for
their Outlook web thing, and everyone else picked up on it and turned it
into a standard.

> (Then again, Wikipedia's example code seems to show JavaScript doing
> exception handling too, which I had no idea was possible.)

Huh. I don't remember ever doing that, but I guess if the browser can tell
you about errors, then there's probably some way to catch them.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not