POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What's in an IDE? : Re: What's in an IDE? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's in an IDE?
From: scott
Date: 2 Mar 2010 05:36:47
Message: <4b8cea3f$1@news.povray.org>
> For example, both JBuilder and VS put the opening bracket of a function on
> the same line as the function declaration, rather than on the next line
> where it belongs.

In VS Express (the free one):

Options -> Text Editor -> (Language) -> Formatting -> New Lines -> "Place
open brace on new line for xxxx" where (xxx) is a number of different
options.  Feel free to tick all these (actually they seem to all be ticked
by default, it's the style I prefer too).

>  They also indent everything by 8 spaces rather than the usual 2. And so
> on. (I'm not even sure *what* formatting rule they apply to
> if-statements...)

Options -> Text Editor -> (Language) -> Tabs -> "Tab Size" or "Indent size"

Why don't you just spend 5 minutes setting the options to your preference?

> Maybe it's because I've never written any of these things, but I can't
> imagine what (for example) two games would have in common. (And hence,
> what you'd put into a template.)

Err, the headers and namespaces for graphics, audio and input libraries,
build processors set up for graphics files, meshes, sound files etc, a game
loop with empty functions for you to add your game logic and graphics code,
pre-existing code for initialising the graphics API and painting the updates
into the window each frame, a framework for adding "components" to your game
that can be easily enabled/disabled and automatically called/rendered, etc.

Just download VC# and XNA and ask it to make a new "Game" project - there's
a lot of useful common stuff in there that makes your job way easier.