POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : American vs. European government systems : Re: American vs. European government systems Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: American vs. European government systems
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 2 Mar 2010 03:16:08
Message: <4b8cc948$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>>>         I think you're assuming that the ban will be sudden. Make it
>>> happen
>>> slowly (over, say, 2 decades), and the outcome may be quite muted.
>>
>>   I don't think it's possible to repeal an amendment over the span of
>> 2 decades. It's instantaneous: At one moment the amendment is valid,
>> the next moment it has been repealed. I don't think there's any middle
>> ground there.
>>
>>   It happened with the 18th (in December 5th 1933, to be exact).
>
> I think Neeum meant a slow ban on guns in spite of constitutional
> protections. For example, it's now very difficult to own machine guns,
> in spite of the 2nd amendment not giving them special treatment.

It is very difficult to get a permit to sell a machine gun. It is not
all that difficult, depending on the state, to get the tax stamp
required to own one. Get finger printed, pass a background check, and
talk to the local LEO. Then pay $200 for a tax stamp when you buy the
weapon. On the state level, there are probably some extra hoops to jump
through.

The guns are the hard part. They have to be made before May 19th 1986,
so the prices are through the roof. Or they can be home-made, if you pay
a different tax and get the correct stamp. Those can only later be
transfered to the military or police.

All this assume I read the National Firearms Act, and remember it
correctly. I recommend you do not assume that.