POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm so glad X11 lets you pick any window manager you want : Re: I'm so glad X11 lets you pick any window manager you want Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm so glad X11 lets you pick any window manager you want
From: Warp
Date: 1 Mar 2010 17:36:52
Message: <4b8c4184@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Step 1 tells you to download a .deb (not in Ubuntu's official repositories)
> and install it. Step 4 gets you a full root shell. Step 6 runs a graphical
> program in said root shell.

> Sigh. If Linux actually follow this kind of instructions, they have as much
> potential to get pwned by malware as if they were using Windows.

  It's actually sad how many horrendously incompetent how-to's about linux
there are out there.

  For example, I once had trouble configuring a HomePNA card to work in
Linux because there was some configuration problem and the technology is
seemingly a bit exotic. One how-to I found out there (specifically for
OpenSUSE, no less) was just amazing. If you had believed it, you would
have to jump through numerous hoops, write down tons of things on paper,
boot *at least* twice during the process and whatnot.

  In the end I got it working without any of that and without having to
boot even once.

--
                                                          - Warp