POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What's in an IDE? : Re: What's in an IDE? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's in an IDE?
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Mar 2010 17:32:32
Message: <4b8c4080$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Edit->Advanced->Reformat entire document
> Wouldn't that just apply the incorrect formatting to the whole document?

It applies the formatting rules you asked it to apply. If you tell it to use
the "wrong" formatting rules, you'll get consistent but "wrongly" formatted
code. Which would be "the" incorrect formatting?

>> You know, that works pretty poorly if you have anything other than
>> code involved. If you're doing a video game and you need to import the
>> audio, graphics, models, and animations, once command line is unlikely
>> to do it.
>
> ...which is why people write batch files. ;-)

So you're going to maintain a batch file that first compiles the code needed
to parse the video game animations, then the code that writes them out, then
runs the animations through that, then put them in the right place?

Why in the world would you do that when it has already been written for you?

And again, yes, people write batch files because they're unfamiliar with
IDEs. You realize that's not a *good* thing, right?

> No "point" as such, I'm just trying to get a handle on what the
> perceived advantages of IDEs are, since it's apparently not possible to
> live without one.

It is if you're doing something small enough. But then, you can live without
batch files too if you never type the same command more than twice.

The advantages of an IDE over a DE is that it's integrated.

>>> What does that do?
>>
>> Try it! Or at least google it. :-)
>
> A human being is far more likely to give a useful overview.

You know what a template is in documents, right? Corporate report template?
Vacation time reporting template? Request for purchase of networking
equipment template?

Same thing, for code.

I want to write a game. I want to write a windows service. I want to write a
new type for a SQL database engine.  I want to build a web application.

 > I'll just spend an hour not being able to figure out what it's supposed
to be for.

That's because you never practice the skill, so you never improve at it.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not