POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What's in an IDE? : Re: What's in an IDE? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's in an IDE?
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Mar 2010 17:26:06
Message: <4b8c3efe$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Right. Well let's not like anybody shows us how to use VS or anything.
> They just acted like it was "obvious" or something.

Well, by "doign it right", it means anwering the right answer on the menu
that pops up, that says "Hey, you renamed a class, do you want me to rename
the references?"  Or "You renamed a file, do you want me to rename the class?"

> If you're doing this stuff yourself by hand, you have a folder full of
> *.java files. When you compile them, it creates *.class files. Oh, and
> you have to have subfolders to patch the package structure, but that's
> about it.

Yep. Now go add some native code, the icon that Windows should use for the
application, the icon it should use for documents, the files that translate
your UI into other languages, the prerequisites that have to be installed
(like other JAR files or the JVM runtime of the right version), the sample
data, the documentation, and the installer.

> Create a VS project and you've got source files, project metadata,
> several different compiled versions of the stuff, resource files,
> packaged-up deployment files, JavaDoc files... It's not like you need to
> be Leroy Gibbs to figure it out, but it's certainly not trivial.

It's trivial to figure out where the compiler-generated files are. They're
in the subdirectory obj if they're intermediate object files, or bin if
they're executable binary files to be distributed. Since the idea of "obj"
vs "bin" has been around since roughly 1970, those terms shouldn't be a
suprise to any programmer.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not