POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What's in an IDE? : Re: What's in an IDE? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's in an IDE?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 1 Mar 2010 16:20:45
Message: <4b8c2fad$1@news.povray.org>
>> "please use the currently selected alternative to complete what I'm
>> typing",
>
> Tab. Just like every other auto-complete system in existence.

Hmm, I never thought of that. (This is before I encountered Unix.)

>> (And then there's the fact that every IDE I've seen refuses to let you
>> indent your code correctly... but that's nothing to do with
>> auto-complete as such.)
>
> Edit->Advanced->Reformat entire document

Wouldn't that just apply the incorrect formatting to the whole document?

> Dude, maybe rather than bitching that IDEs suck, you should give it a
> rest until you've tried one written this millenium.

I didn't say IDEs suck, I said autocomplete sucks. ;-) Or at least, the
two implementations of it I tried sucked...

>>> 5) Auto compile/link/run with one keypress
>>
>> I usually leave a CLI window open. To compile, just press the up arrow
>> and enter. But sure, I'm certainly not *against* such a feature! ;-)
>
> You know, that works pretty poorly if you have anything other than code
> involved. If you're doing a video game and you need to import the audio,
> graphics, models, and animations, once command line is unlikely to do it.

...which is why people write batch files. ;-)

> OK, so you have your development environment, non-integrated. So? What's
> your point?

No "point" as such, I'm just trying to get a handle on what the
perceived advantages of IDEs are, since it's apparently not possible to
live without one.

>>> 6) "Template" projects for a Windows app
>>
>> What does that do?
>
> Try it! Or at least google it. :-)

A human being is far more likely to give a useful overview. (Let's face
it, if I try it, I'll just spend an hour not being able to figure out
what it's supposed to be for.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/