POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What's in an IDE? : Re: What's in an IDE? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's in an IDE?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 1 Mar 2010 16:16:46
Message: <4b8c2ebe$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> In Haskell, I can fire up Glade, paint my UI, save it, and then write
>> maybe 6 lines of code in Haskell, hit compile, and I've got a GUI
>> application.
>
> Same in C#.  Actually, you don't have to write any code at all. The
> boilerplate is created for you. What do you think Glade is doing, if not
> generating boilerplate.

Actually it saves the GUI description as an XML file, which your program
then loads and parses at runtime.

> When you want to (for example) code a Windows service, or a plug-in for
> a web browser, or a custom type for a SQL server, you're going to have
> more boilerplate to hook those two together.

Now, see, to me these kinds of tasks all belong to the set of things
which are "impossible" in the first place, so I guess I don't tend to
think about it. You can't write web browser plugins unless you're a C
programmer, unfortunately.

> A sufficiently advanced language can turn any "boilerplate" into
> "library code", but that's generally done by having the compiler running
> library code at compile time.  Hence, LISP macros, FORTH dictionaries,
> etc. An IDE does that for languages where the syntax doesn't include
> running arbitrary code at compile time.

Heh, maybe.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/