POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What's in an IDE? : Re: What's in an IDE? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's in an IDE?
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Mar 2010 12:19:45
Message: <4b8bf731$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> If you're
> trying to invoke a method of the current class, no matter what you do it
> won't populate the list.

I dunno. Just tried it, and "this." brought up the list of methods.

> "please use the currently selected alternative to complete what I'm
> typing",

Tab. Just like every other auto-complete system in existence.

> (And then there's the fact that every IDE I've seen refuses to let you
> indent your code correctly... but that's nothing to do with
> auto-complete as such.)

Edit->Advanced->Reformat entire document

Dude, maybe rather than bitching that IDEs suck, you should give it a rest
until you've tried one written this millenium.

>> 4) The red underlining of compiler errors as you're typing (in MS C# IDE)
>
> That's useful IF IT WORKS CORRECTLY, which it doesn't always do IME.
>
>> 5) Auto compile/link/run with one keypress
>
> I usually leave a CLI window open. To compile, just press the up arrow
> and enter. But sure, I'm certainly not *against* such a feature! ;-)

You know, that works pretty poorly if you have anything other than code
involved. If you're doing a video game and you need to import the audio,
graphics, models, and animations, once command line is unlikely to do it.

OK, so you have your development environment, non-integrated. So? What's
your point?

>> 6) "Template" projects for a Windows app
>
> What does that do?

Try it! Or at least google it. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not