POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Overclocking the Core i7-860 : Re: Overclocking the Core i7-860 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overclocking the Core i7-860
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 1 Mar 2010 11:29:17
Message: <4b8beb5d@news.povray.org>
news:4b8be2c4@news.povray.org...
> "Jeremy \"UncleHoot\" Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> wrote:
>> I was able to achieve 4.2GHz, but heat became a serious problem.  I was
>> using Prime95, and temps were approaching 80C.
>
>  I thought modern CPUs automatically throttle to lower clock frequencies
> when they get too hot.
>
>  Or does overclocking mean that you are actually bypassing that protection
> mechanism and forcing the CPU to run at a given frequency regardless of
> temperature?

Good question.  I used "Core Temp" which allows you the option of seeing the
CPU frequency in real-time.  Even though it was getting hot, the
CPU-frequency wasn't changing under full load.

Sitting idle, the computer would drop down to a 9x multiplier and would
operate at less than half speed.  With the 3.88GHz OC, it was actually only
running at about 1.6GHz while sitting idle and consuming only about 100W
with the monitor off.  For me, that's about a penny an hour sitting idle.  I
have an external device that measures voltage, watts, amps, etc.  At full
load, it was between 250 and 300+ Watts.