POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Overclocking the Core i7-860 : Re: Overclocking the Core i7-860 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overclocking the Core i7-860
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 1 Mar 2010 10:45:34
Message: <4b8be11e$1@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> wrote in message
> Ok, before I go further, I'll have to explain a bit.  The 4.4GHz was
> really a 4.2GHz overclock with "turbo boost" or whatever the heck it's
> called.

Woops.  "Turbo Boost" is something else, which I have turned off.  I think
it's "Speed Step" that automatically jumps to the higher clock multiplier.

Turbo Boost is apparently for single threaded apps, so that they can get
more power from one core, and keeping the other 3 essentially turned off.
At stock voltages, turbo boost would take a 2.8GHz system and turn up the
clock on one of the cores to reach 3.5GHz or so.  I haven't played around
with it, though.  Maybe later.