POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What's in an IDE? : Re: What's in an IDE? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's in an IDE?
From: scott
Date: 1 Mar 2010 04:55:06
Message: <4b8b8efa$1@news.povray.org>
>> Even the free version of VS has a GUI for setting up and accessing local
>> and remote databases from your code
>
> Even the Java version from 10 years ago?

Dunno, I'm using the ones you can download from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Windows/

> Well, it was an old version of Max. But, as far as I could tell, it only
> renders triangles. (There's probably a way to move the points around; I
> didn't look too hard for it.) The texturing options seemed pretty
> extensive though...
>
> As for VS, it was a struggle to figure out how to make it compile Hello
> World and run it. You would have expected this to be the most trivial
> thing, but no... Given the difficulty of doing this, I didn't exactly hunt
> around for the button that embeds SkyNet into your program.

In VS C# I can just go to "File -> New Project -> Console Application", up
pops a "Program.cs" source code file with about 10 lines of code, a class
containing an empty "Main" method.  I write "Console.WriteLine("Hello
World!");" and press F5.  Job done.

Note that as I typed Con the autocomplete list popped up and Console was
highlighted so I just pressed enter, then when I pressed "." the next list
popped up of methods/properties of "Console", after I typed "W" it
highlighted "Write", but then I saw that "WriteLine" was below so I pressed
down arrow and enter again, then I typed "(" and I was given a list of
overloaded methods I could call, I just ignored that and entered my string,
assuming there would be one that took a string.  Also if I made any mistake
(or paused for too long typing before completeing the statement) it got
underlined in red...