POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What's in an IDE? : Re: What's in an IDE? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's in an IDE?
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Mar 2010 04:33:17
Message: <4b8b89dd$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Microsoft VisualStudio.
>
> Even the free version of VS has a GUI for setting up and accessing local
> and remote databases from your code

Even the Java version from 10 years ago?

> It also writes the GUI code based on what you design in
> the Form Designer GUI.

I saw that you can select "Java Applet" or something like that, and it
generates a class with 200 miles of boilerplate that you will never ever
need or want, which you then have to manually delete. Alternatively,
"blank Java project" generates a class file with much less boilerplate
in it to delete. (Mostly just verbose comments.)

I didn't try using the UI painter, so I couldn't say whether they
implemented it for Java, whether it was any good, or whether it writes
code for you.

> It also will create distribution packages for
> you with installers etc automatically.

Yes, I recall there were a whole bunch of options for how to package up
your project when you're done. (This was in the early days of Java. I
believe you could compile it down to a Windows executable, or just a
normal Jar file.)

> I think you need the paid
> version to get all the version control stuff, but I could be wrong
> (never looked into that myself).

I haven't looked either. Presumably you need a 3rd-party VC system
before this will work? (I.e., there isn't VC capability build into VS
itself.)

> This sounds familiar to your argument that 3D Studio Max is rubbish
> because you only figured out how to work 1 feature of it (out of 10000) :-)

Well, it was an old version of Max. But, as far as I could tell, it only
renders triangles. (There's probably a way to move the points around; I
didn't look too hard for it.) The texturing options seemed pretty
extensive though...

As for VS, it was a struggle to figure out how to make it compile Hello
World and run it. You would have expected this to be the most trivial
thing, but no... Given the difficulty of doing this, I didn't exactly
hunt around for the button that embeds SkyNet into your program.