POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : American vs. European government systems : Re: American vs. European government systems Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: American vs. European government systems
From: scott
Date: 1 Mar 2010 04:05:51
Message: <4b8b836f$1@news.povray.org>
>  Some argue that Europe is in grave danger of becoming a totalitarian
> government system because the citizens have no way of keeping governments
> in check, and they are passing stricter and stricter laws, restricting
> more and more liberties, as time passes. Europeans don't shoot back, but
> instead they submit.

That's only correct for an issue like guns, because far fewer people in
Europe care about having a gun than in the US (as far as I can tell).  If
any government in Europe changed the law on guns, basically nobody would
care apart from a small minority.

Take a different issue, say tax on fuel, and suddenly people do "shoot
back" - certainly in the UK there was havoc when fuel prices went too high,
the government knows it cannot do anything silly here else the country will
be brought to a standstill.

I suspect other issues which a lot of people actually care about would have
similar outcomes if the government tried to do something they didn't like.