POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is Haskell interesting? : Re: Why is Haskell interesting? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is Haskell interesting?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 28 Feb 2010 04:44:51
Message: <4b8a3b13$1@news.povray.org>
>> You can't do "c at 2", but there's no reason you couldn't do "c `at` 2".
>
>   If this were C++, it would actually be "c.at(2)".

OK.

>   But I suppose that since Haskell is not an OO language and its dot operator
> probably means something else altogether, making it like that would probably
> be difficult (and would probably require a complete syntax redesign).

The dot can mean two different things. "x . y" means  function
composition. "x.y" is a qualified name. (It means the variables "y" from
module "x".)

>> You're going to love this...
>
>> It's "not". As in "not (x == y)".
>
>   Why suddenly have one operator be a comprehensible word? Were they
> uninspired when they thought up that one? :P

Heh. If you mean "why isn't it some random symbol?" then the answer is
"you can only use symbols for *binary* functions, not *unary* functions
such as NOT".

Oh, you're going to love this... The logical AND and OR functions are
"&&" and "||" respectively, but Haskell *also* has functions named "and"
and "or". They take the logical AND or OR of a list of booleans.

Hey, I said Haskell was a great language. I never said the standard
libraries were perfect. ;-) I'm sure you can probably name a few
unfortunately design choices of the C++ libraries too...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/