POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is Haskell interesting? : Re: Why is Haskell interesting? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is Haskell interesting?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 27 Feb 2010 17:26:22
Message: <4b899c0e$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> The way you said "take each token and pass it through a macro" made it
>> sound like the input stream gets tokenised first
>
> It gets tokenized one token at a time. Otherwise, how would your "macro"
> be able to read the input? I'm not saying "it looks at the
> already-parsed input". I'm saying "it invokes the read() function on
> stdin to consume input that was sent to the compiler". The funky syntax
> is never seen by the tokenizer (in FORTH and LISP).

Tokenising isn't parsing; it's just the initial part where you split the
input into tokens. Thing is, each language has different ideas about
what a "token" is...

Obviously I'm never going to use Lisp or Forth, never mind macros. I'm
just mildly curious to know whether you can implement your own
tokenising rules or not.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/