POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is Haskell interesting? : Re: Why is Haskell interesting? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is Haskell interesting?
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Feb 2010 16:57:29
Message: <4b899549$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> The way Haskell does it has advantages.

No question.

> 1. You can tell that stuff is quoted, and what quoting rule it's using.

Trivially true of LISP and FORTH, too. LISP syntax is so simple it's hard
not to know what you're quoting, and in FORTH *everything* works that way,
including all the "normal" stuff.

> 2. You can't accidentally write a quoting rule which changes the meaning
> of a valid Haskell fragment.

Yeah. That's the only thing you *can* do in Erlang, which is kind of odd.

> 3. The new stuff can have completely different parsing rules to Haskell.
> (Presumably the Lisp, Forth and Erlang methods can't do that.)

Erlang, no, because it's already parsed when you get it. FORTH and LISP,
yes, it's exactly the point of it.  If you can read arbitrary amount of
input off the input file as you're compiling, you can pretty much completely
change the parsing rules.

Of course, the parsing rule for FORTH is "read up to the next whitespace,
then run that function. Repeat."  So the whole point of FORTH is that there
isn't any syntax beyond that defined by the libraries. (For example, the
function to define functions, and the "if" statement, are both library
routines.)  It can make things rough, tho.

> If you could write XML tags literally, then an expression like "if x<y
> then if y>z then..." would suddenly parse as an XML tag, which would be
> a Very Bad Thing. Really, having to explicitly say you're doing weird
> stuff isn't so bad.

Yeah, that was just an example I saw. Obviously you'd have to take care. I
haven't used Erlang enough to understand the subtleties of its mechanisms.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not