POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : American vs. European government systems : Re: American vs. European government systems Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: American vs. European government systems
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Feb 2010 13:42:35
Message: <4b88161b$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/26/2010 7:15 AM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> I am unconvinced that
>
>> 1. There will be a cival war if the government does something the people
>> don't like.
>
>    I'm pretty sure there would be a civil war if the US government tried
> to appeal the second amendment and confiscate all firearms. That's because,
> as I wrote earlier, the second amendment is seen by many Americans as a
> safeguard against a totally corrupt government. It gives the people the
> power to keep the government in check.

Problem is, its not. Pretty much ever madman and dictator in history has
gotten into power by a) giving the majority what they **seemed** to
want, and b) convincing a significant number of those that are not in
that majority that they can get what they want too, if they side with
them. Armed citizens, in that scenario is not a means to "prevent" civil
war and fascism, its a means to guarantee it. Its like I have said to a
lot of people about the whole paranoid idiocy you always get about Satan
hiding among liberals... Sure, if he a) existed, and b) was a complete
fracking idiot, that is where he would be. If he was real, intended to
cause the greatest chaos, strife and war, wanted to form a huge army,
and needed to gather followers to arrange these things to happen, he
would found of bloody fracking mega church, hand out guns as door
prizes, whip up the pre-existing paranoia, persecution complexes, and
fears, of believers, then tell them, "March with me, and everything will
be fixed!"

Hell, even the paranoid people are not logically consistent about this.
They try to push in evangelical and Biblical literalist ideas into the
army, while fighting to prevent joe six pack losing his right to shoot
beer cans, and coincidentally, the neighbors house, behind them, but are
***sure*** that liberals are all out to... what? Take away everyone's
guns, then convince the, often, in this day and age, borderline criminal
(they throw out gays, lesbians, and other "undesirables", and until
recently refused to use women in combat at all, so don't **have**
anything other than convicts to pick from), nearly all believers, to put
themselves in concentration camps? WTF?

Truth is, there is a sane level of gun ownership, and sane ways to keep
them, and yes, some countries are being bloody damn stupid about even
allowing that. But, the US policy is pretty much protected, protested as
great, railed about, in terms of its endangerment, and hugged like a
warm blanket, by people that are completely, batshit, insane, and I
wouldn't trust with a water pistol, never mind a semi-automatic.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();