POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : American vs. European government systems : Re: American vs. European government systems Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: American vs. European government systems
From: Warp
Date: 26 Feb 2010 09:15:37
Message: <4b87d789@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> I am unconvinced that

> 1. There will be a cival war if the government does something the people
> don't like.

  I'm pretty sure there would be a civil war if the US government tried
to appeal the second amendment and confiscate all firearms. That's because,
as I wrote earlier, the second amendment is seen by many Americans as a
safeguard against a totally corrupt government. It gives the people the
power to keep the government in check.

> 2. Not having guns makes it impossible to force the government to change
> its policy.

  Guns make it easier to keep the government in check. If you suddenly have
a million fully armed people taking over the government, that cannot be
taken lightly.

  (I'm not saying that guns are the *best* way to keep a government in check.
I'm just pointing out what seems to be the case in the US.)

--
                                                          - Warp